Job Title: Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager
Location: Hybrid 2 days in Nottingham
Salary: Up to £80,000 with a car allowance of £4080
Hours: Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm or Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm
- Flexible hours
- 27 days holiday plus public and bank holidays
- Bonus and incentive scheme
- Life assurance
- A flexible working hours policy
- Refer a friend scheme
- Payroll giving scheme
- Annual travel pass scheme
- Savings scheme.
- Cashback on your healthcare
- Discounted gym membership
- Occupational health
- Employee assistance programme – work-life solutions
- Flu vaccinations
- Your Health Matters – a monthly initiative to raise awareness of and improve your well-being.
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
- Flexible and hybrid working options.
- Friendly and inclusive culture.
- Strong sustainability agenda.
About the role of Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager
- As a Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the
- Mortgage Acquisition teams and ensuring the highest levels of service for valued customers and
- You will lead the multiple Mortgage Acquisition teams across multi-discipline areas and engage them to deliver the highest levels of service for customers and brokers.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering the strategy for the operational teams, and managing resources to produce productivity levels that hit challenging SLAs and performance targets.
- Managing the quality of outputs and instil and maintaining a customer-focused culture achieving a right-first-time approach.
- First-line accountability for the Society’s lending policy and criteria, ensuring that we lend responsibly and within our approved risk appetite.
- Ensure necessary legal and regulatory obligations are met across all disciplines and manage the quality of lending (thus reducing risk) through the development and monitoring of lending and lending policy.
- Responsibilities required for the role of Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager
- Lead teams across the mortgage acquisition function to deliver against challenging service and productivity targets. This includes creating a broker/customer-focused culture where agreed SLAs and NPS targets are met, and teams are motivated to succeed.
- Support in building an operation that can deal with a flow and the peaks/ troughs of acquisition mortgage lending that increases in size with inbuilt flexibility.
- Build an underwriting team that can deal with process enhancements for existing and new mortgage types. Ensure that there is appropriate succession planning in place for the longevity of the function
- Responsible for the accurate and timely reporting and analysis of MI
- Responsible for regulatory compliance specifically MCOB working with FCA and BSA
- Day to day Account Management for key 3rd party suppliers (panel management and fee-free legal conveyancing) closely working with Supplier Management
- Ensure robust controls are in place to ensure lending mandates are exercised individually and collectively in such a way as to maintain a high-quality mortgage book.
- Monitor adherence to lending policy, and own the procedures and controls to meet and reflect technical, product and legislative requirements.
- Participate in projects and initiatives to ensure an effective implementation of the Mortgage function.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external customers (Intermediary Sales, Brokers, Valuation Panel Managers and Solicitors etc.)
- Lead and performance manage all direct reports, conducting monthly 1:1 reviews, and observations and holding team meetings to share best practices across the area.
- Work closely with the Mortgage Risk Manager to ensure robust controls are in place to mitigate against all first-line mortgage risks in line with the society risk framework
Experience required for the role of Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager
- In-depth knowledge of financial services including but not limited to current legislation for mortgages, e.g., MCOB, Data Protection Act, TCF principles and Mortgage Charter.
- Sound knowledge of Land Law, land registration, conveyancing process and Housing Act legislation.
- Highly developed understanding of the UK Mortgage market, including industry hot topics, market trends, competitor landscape and key customer challenges/opportunities.
- Knowledge of Conduct and Operational risk, In-depth knowledge of the property conveyancing process.
- Thorough understanding of recent regulatory guidance governing mortgage activity in the UK (inc. Treatment of Vulnerable Customers, Consumer Duty etc).
- Strong understanding of Mortgage product ranges across Residential and Specialist markets,
- High level of awareness of future industry/tech developments and their possible application for UK mortgages.
- Sound analytics skills with an ability to use complex information to build compelling business recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/ verbal communication skills, ability to motivate, coach and inspire a developing Management team.
- Strategic thinking and an ability to communicate and deliver that strategy
For more information regarding the role of Senior Mortgage Underwriting Manager please contact us
Stellar Select is acting as an employment agency and is a corporate member of the REC.
Due to a high volume of applications, we will only contact you if your application has been successful. We aim to contact all successful contacts within two business days.