Job Title: Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
Location: London, Liverpool Street
Salary: Up to £70,000
Hours: Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm
- Discretionary Bonus
- 25-day holiday (rising by one day after every three full calendar years, to 30 days)
- Private medical cover
- Group income protection
- Life insurance
- Season ticket loan
- Professional membership fees
About the role
We have a great new vacancy based in the City for a Commercial Mortgage Underwriter for our client who are a Specialist Commercial Bank.
The primary purpose of this role is to be the underwriter for Specialist Mortgages and property related Specialist Business Finance transactions. The Specialist Mortgages department undertakes lending in the following asset classes: Buy-to-let including HMO’s, Semi Commercial, and Short Term Loans. The department is also responsible for the final checks and sign off to allow operations to fund loans.
The Underwriter should be a commercial minded risk advocate able to balance risk and reward without putting the bank at risk through poor lending decisions. The individual will be required to visit potential and current customers and assess their processes and procedures to make sure they are operationally and financially sound. The role may also involve assisting other areas of the bank in assessing new and existing funders, together with assessing property security packages.
Responsibilities and Experience required for the role of Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
- Risk – Delivery of lending decisions based on an overall consideration of risks and mitigants to risk, with level of underwriting applied to each case being proportionate to the risk. Ensure a low levels of arrears and losses whilst balancing the requirement to be seen as a flexible and balanced lender in the specialist sector
- Lending Policy: Propose developments and enhancements to the lending policy to evolve the lending policy working closely with Risk and CL
- Regulatory Governance – Compliance with the lending and credit policies applicable to the business line including management of large exposures and concentration risk.
- Procedures: Ensuring comprehensive up to date procedures/manuals are developed, evolved, documented and followed to ensure the business is developed in a controlled and measured way which optimises efficiency and risk management
- Customer centricity: Leading by example to ensure the customer is placed centrally in the conduct of all staff, ensuring that products and services are designed and delivered in a manner which is and remains appropriate to their needs, treats them fairly and ensures a fair outcome for them over time.
- Compliance: Ensuring policies, limits, regulations and laws are followed within their team, or elsewhere in the Bank
- Leadership: To act with the highest standards of ethical behaviour and probity as befits a leadership role model for the business
- Collaboration: Working effectively individually and as a team with the various functions of the division to enable them to carry out their duties and operations.
- Extensive experienced gained within commercial and buy to let mortgage underwriting is an essential requirement
- Balanced underwriter
- Delivery of excellence in customer service, customer centric approach
- Flexible approach to ensure delivery in a start-up environment
- Relationship management
- Risk awareness
- Good communication skills
- Adaptable to new products and markets
For more information regarding the role of Commercial Mortgage Underwriter please contact us on 0333 1234 101
Stellar Select is acting as an employment agency and is a corporate member of the REC
Due to a high volume of applications, we will only contact you if your application has been successful. We aim to contact all successful contacts within two business days